The Parenting class that we have is a compilation of three courses:
Partners in Parenting based on SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (Used at the Marion County Jail)
How to Be a Responsible Father/Mother - Stawar
Active Parenting Now - Popkin (Video based/instructor/active participation)
More about the class - we will have about 4 speakers from the community to help us with this. All of the teaching services of this program are by volunteers.
- Active Parenting
- Child Development (We currently have the majority of your children in the 5 – 12 age group. We will focus on these ages and bring into the class techniques for the children in the age groups outside of this.)
- Family Communications
- Winning Cooperation
- Responsibility and Discipline
- Understanding and Redirecting Misbehavior
- Building Courage, Character, and Self-Esteem
- The Active Family Now
- We are including articles dealing with various topics such as tantrums, honesty, teaching resilience, raising a kid who cares, working with moody kids, dealing with lying, hyperactive vs. high energy kids, raising a good citizen and more.
We are flexible enough to be able to add a few other topics as well. I want to include the importance of reading for children – I have a project for that and it is vital to make sure that the kids have that for their future. I also want to include the idea of the three cups (spending, saving, charity).
There were 29 graduates since program start in 2012 from the first Parenting Class. 2013 there were 9 males and 4 females.